Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reporter chases senator up statehouse steps

I have posted a link to a 26-second video from the Boston Herald's website below that I'd like reporters to check out. Unlike the high-end work being done by our photo staff that requires quality equipment and editing, these types of point and shoot videos add great visual content to your stories online without a lot of heavy lifting. All of our point and shoot cameras can capture video and, with practice, you can actually get respectable results. I have been using the exact same cameras we have here in the newsroom with my UNH students and some have done very good work with them.

Last night I had David Hurlburt, an executive producer at WMUR, speak to my class. He said that while they have great equipment and skilled producers, they often chose to run raw video on their website because it has an authenticity to it. While the longest TV news segment runs 1:30 he said they'll often run raw video of 10 minutes or more on the website and that it is an important driver of traffic for them.

Boston Herald Reporter Dave Wedge chases senator up statehouse steps

No comments: